Saturday, January 2, 2016

Everything Old is New Again: My Resolution for 2016



My secret is out: for years I've had two large plastic bags stuffed with paper, canvases, and art supplies stashed behind my couch. I kept all this stuff because I had a giant case of the "Somedays"; someday I'll use that watercolor paper; someday I'll need that foam core; someday I'm going to experiment with that sanded paper.

Well, guess what. Someday is here.

I spent two hours on New Year's eve (I even got a jump start on my resolution!) sorting through the papers and supplies and putting them into some sort of order. And no - I didn't just put everything back behind the couch - even if it all was so nicely sorted and neatly packed up.

Instead, I left the paper out in plain sight. It's right where I can quickly get my hands on it - so I can't use the "out of sight, out of mind" excuse. I'm going to use all of this "free" paper and all these supplies to experiment. Every day I'm going to make something new - even if it's just a quick doodle or a sketch. This year I want to stretch and grow as an artist. I'm going to play like I haven't played in years. I plan on having some serious fun. I'm going to draw and paint and paste and tear up paper and generally make a mess - I'll try anything!

I'm telling you this so you can hold me accountable. I'll post my daubs and my masterpieces throughout the year so I can measure my progress. Part of the point of this experiment is to feel comfortable sharing my failures as well as my successes.

Let me know if you've made any resolutions this year regarding your art. And if you need any paper - I have plenty!

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic Joan, you are always an inspiration. I am going to actually finish paintings this year. Get out of my sketch book and make big fat horrible oil paintings! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay - can't wait to see what you make, Lois (and they won't be horrible, I'm sure!!) I'm so excited about making work that isn't for an assignment or on deadline, but just for the fun of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea, J! This is me but it's a big box of papers under the bed, special papers waiting for a special project. Which means they've been waiting for years. The time is now--you've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see the wonderful art you'll create, Tanya - hope you'll share some of it here!

      Delete