Friday, October 12, 2012

For Quality Giclee Prints, I Rely on Graphic Factor Studio

When I decided to offer high quality, reasonably priced prints of my work on my illustration website, I turned to my friends Mary Peterson and Jonathan Kawaye at Graphic Factor studio in Silver Lake, California.

Mary is an illustrator and graphic designer, while Jonathan has over thirty years experience as a master printer. They're seasoned professionals who take the time to work closely with the artist to create a final product that is as faithful as possible to the original art.

They begin by making a high quality digital scan of the original art. Once the scan has been proofed and color corrected, it is printed on an Epson Stylus Pro 4800 Printer using Epson UltraChrome K3 ink. Mary and Jonathan's paper of choice is Epson's Ultra Smooth Fine Art Paper (18mil, 100% cotton, acid free, mould made). The result is a beautiful reproduction that recreates all the tonalities and hues of the original painting.

Taking Care of Your Print
It's important to remember that all color fades. I recommend that you treat your Giclee print the way you would treat an original watercolor. The print should be protected from water and should not be placed in direct sunlight. Giclees printed on paper should be frame mounted with an acid-free mat behind glass. With proper care, you'll be able to enjoy your art for many years to come.

3 comments:

  1. How lucky you are to have friends like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you - I truly am lucky. They're both very talented and I've learned a lot from them.

    ReplyDelete